Ashford Hall Grade II* situated to the north east of the village of Ashford-in-the-Water, the Hall is set in 10 acres of ground with a lake.
Ashford Hall is culturally and architecturally significant because it is an important example of a 1776 Country House attributed to the leading Derbyshire architect Joseph Pickford. Ashford Hall’s curtilage was originally tight and constrained by patterns of 17th century land-ownership and the bounds of Churchdale Lane. The Construction of the 5th Dukes of Devonshire Sherbrook Carriage Way and the 1819 abandonment of Churchdale Lane enabled the Hall to be set in extensive parkland in which the river Wye was modified to form lakes with adjacent arboreal planting.
Bench Architects were appointed to execute extensive documentary research and assessment of the historic development of the architecture and associated landscape which were used as a guide to inform the proposed interventions and repairs and seek Planning and Listed Building approval. Consents were approved in 2020.
Our proposals included works to the Hall, Gardner’s Cottage (Grade II), The Cottage and The Stables Block/Coach House (Grade II) and their associated landscaping. Bench Architects extensive documentary research and assessment of the historic development of the architecture and associated landscape have been used as a guide to inform the proposed interventions and repairs including:
- The original architectural geometry and the removal of some late19th century / 20th century alterations and additions that are of low quality; or the elements that detracted from the original composition. Demolition of the Billiard Room dating from c1898 and reinstatement of the Hall’s north elevation to its original geometry. Reversing some of the early 19th century alterations to the south facade of the Hall.
- Interior improvements to accommodate modern living. Improving the energy performance of the historic buildings. Upgrading all mechanical and electrical service installations.
- A sustainable and biodiverse landscape strategy which consolidates the existing planting and habitats on and around the site.