7 High St
Bench Architects proposed the reinstatement of the 1628 plan form and geometry. The construction was to be traditional, comprising of solid masonry walls, [internally lime rendered], wrought iron leaded light fenestration, oak carpentry and thatched roofing.
The existing structure was much altered and is a remnant of a much larger structure illustrated on the May 1628 Tithe map - A description of the Mannor of Tibshelf . By 1776 the northern wing had been demolished leaving a linear plan form and by 1876 this range had been halved in length, to form the thatched cottage, which survives today.
By 1980 the cottage was dilapidated and with modern softwood fenestration. From 1981-83 the structure was renovated with the unfortunate loss of earlier fabric including staircases and fireplaces. The renovation also included the removal of a pantile principal roof to the southern roof slope with thatch in lieu; the introduction of new windows and alterations to existing window geometry and the removal of brickwork from the gable ends, with rubble walling built in lieu.