Thornbridge Hall


Comprehensive documentary evidence from 1871 allowed a full understanding of the part demolition of the 18th Century Hall, construction of a ‘Jacobean’ house with steeply pitched roof and subsequent crenulation of Thornbridge by Charles Hadfield to resemble Haddon Hall.

In 1949 Sheffield City Council purchased the Thornbridge from Charles Boot as a teacher training college and built on to the north and west elevations of the house. The BA Conservation Plan allowed the post 1949 structures to be removed and the elevations reinstated to a 1896 chronology.