Grade II* listed Walton Hall is a seven bay red brick country house built in 1724-9 for William Taylor (High Sherriff of Derbyshire 1726-7), replacing a former manor house on the same site. The hall is set within parkland and flanked by a series of outbuildings including a stable range, cottages and cart shed (also listed at grade II*) and a dairy (listed at Grade II).
Bench Architects were appointed by a potential purchaser to carry out a condition survey of the hall and outbuildings to RICS level 3. The survey found that extensive repair work was required across all buildings on the estate. A repairs schedule was produced and used to inform a quantity surveyor’s cost plan for complete restoration of the hall and outbuildings. A transport impact assessment was commissioned with the intention of understanding the highways and access consequences of a possible change of use from a single dwelling to a conference and events centre.
The hall is currently included in Historic England’s Heritage at Risk Register, however a phased programme of works is planned under new ownership.